Dr. Greger: Volume 11
Dr. Michael Greger’s Latest in Clinical Nutrition Volume 11 is now available.
I found Volume 11 to be especially interesting. Some of the highlights:
- The spice saffron can improve PMS symptoms and even reduced depression on par with Prozac.
- Some cases of fibromyalgia appear to be caused by the artificial sweetener aspartame.
- Mushrooms are the best source of the amino acid ergothioneine which may be an important antioxidant for the mitochondria. Mushrooms can also reduce the risk of breast cancer.
- Dr. Greger has previously talked about bacteria endotoxins from meat causing a state of inflammation in the body. This time, he spends a few videos on a unique molecule found in meat, Neu5Gc, as a cause of inflammation.
- Potassium can reduce the risk of stroke and rheumatoid arthritis symptoms and 98% of Americans are not meeting the DRI of 4,700 mg per day. The best sources are tomato sauce, orange juice, greens, beans, and dates.
- Fructose can increase uric acid which can in turn increase gout, diabetes, heart disease, and stroke.